From: Dr. Michael Boda
Chief Electoral Officer
Province of Saskatchewan
Date: November 8, 2014
To: Chief Official Agents
Registered Political Parties of Saskatchewan
With less than a week to go before the by-election in the Constituency of Lloydminster, I wanted to be in touch again to highlight a few items.
• Official Voters List – Distribution: Revision ends at 10 p.m. Central Time (9 p.m. Mountain Time) today, November 8. Our team in Lloydminster has worked hard to improve the preliminary voters list, both by accepting revisions and by completing targeted enumerations in areas that had incomplete coverage. The revised voters list will be available Sunday, November 9. Detailed instructions on how you or your candidate can pick up the official voters list are attached.
• Official Voters List – Security of the List: Under Section 24(12) of The Election Act, 1996, I am required take all reasonable steps to protect the security of the voters list. I hope that you will stress the importance of protecting this document and its contents to your candidates and business managers. Two forms related to the security of the list are attached—the E-293 (Declaration to Protect the List of Electors) and the E-295 (Declaration to Secure the List of Electors). After the Return to the Writ, I will be in touch again with specific instructions.
• Advance Voting: The last day of advance voting is Monday, November 10, with polls closing at 10 p.m. Central Time (9 p.m. Mountain Time). Number of voters turning out at each advanced polling place are being posted after each day on the by-election website at elections.sk.ca/lloydminsterbyelection. As always, scrutineers are allowed to observe at each of the advance voting sites in order to determine who has voted each day. As per legislation, all candidates are entitled to a copy of the entries made in the poll book at the advance polls. Due to the Remembrance Day holiday, this material will be available the morning of Wednesday, November 12. I have been advised that Josephine Taylor, Returning Officer for the by-election, will be contacting the candidates or their business managers with details on how they can receive this information.
• Polling place research on By-Election Day: Elections SK has commissioned Insightrix Research to conduct analysis of certain procedures during the by-election. The research will be used to improve our approach to election administration during future events. Participation of voters is entirely voluntary. Researchers will be located outside the polling place so as to be unobtrusive to voters and election workers. Five locations have been selected:
• Jack Kemp Community School, Lloydminster
• New Life Community School, Lloydminster
• St. John’s Anglican Church Hall, Lloydminster
• Onion Lake Memorial Communiplex, Onion Lake
• Kinsmen Community Hall, Paradise Hill
• Reporting of Election Results: Live results will be posted to http://www.results.elections.sk.ca as they become available after polls close on by-election day at 8:00 p.m. Central Time (7:00 p.m. Mountain Time). Please note that this site will not be active until early next week—you will receive an email from my office with a link the morning of by-election day. I have also attached a copy of the news release that went out on Friday regarding results reporting.
I want to offer all candidates and parties the very best in these last few days of campaigning. Please continue to monitor our by-election page for information: www.elections.sk.ca/lloydminsterbyelection. As always, I am happy to hear from you with comments, questions, and concerns.
I will continue to communicate with you on an as-needed basis, but this will likely be my last communique with you before by-election day.