To vote in a provincial election or by-election you must:

  • Be a Canadian citizen;
  • Be at least 18 years old;
  • Have lived in Saskatchewan for at least the six months before the date the election or by-election is called;
  • Ordinarily be a resident of the constituency on the date the election or by-election is called.

You can also vote if:

  • you are a British subject who was qualified as a voter on June 23, 1971
  • you meet the residency requirements stated above.

Special Eligibility Rules for Saskatchewan Voters

You need ID to vote

This ID must prove both your identity and your address. You have three options:

1. A driver’s licence, or other government-issued ID that has both your name, photo and address. This must be your civic/residential address, legal land description, lot/block/plan or First Nation reserve.

2. Show two pieces of ID, both must have your name and one must have your address. For example, your health card and a utility bill. There are more than 50 acceptable documents. These are listed below.

3. At the voting station, you can sign a declaration, and a registered voter from the same constituency, such as a neighbour or roommate, may vouch for you. Each person can only vouch for one other individual.

Acceptable ID

Proof of Identity Proof of Identity and Address
Birth Certificate

Canada Border Services Agency ID

Canadian Blood Services Donor Card

Canadian Forces ID

Canadian Passport


CIC Citizenship Card


Credit Card

Debit Card

Driver’s Licence (Saskatchewan)

Firearms Possession Licence

Fishing, Trapping, Hunting Licence

Government Employee Card

Health Card (Saskatchewan)

Hospital Bracelet

Indian Status Card

Métis Nation Status Card

Old Age Security (OAS) Card

Other ID (Government, Municipality, School Division, Indian Band)

Pleasure Craft Operators Licence

Parole Card

Passport of a Foreign State

Radio Operator Card

Social Insurance Card

Student Card from Post-Secondary Institution

Union ID

Veterans Affairs Health Card

Voter Information Card

Wildlife Certificate

Admission Form (Shelter, Student, Seniors Residence)

Attestation of Residence

Bank Statement

Blank Cheque with the Voter’s Name

Certificate of Title

Cheque (Government, Municipality, School Division, Indian Band)

Credit Card Statement

Crop Insurance Statement

Court Document

Employer Paycheque

Government Benefits Statement (Employment Insurance, OAS, Social Assistance, Disability Support, Child Tax Benefit, Workers’ Compensation)

Income Tax Assessment

Insurance Policy

Letter of Authorization from a First Nations Band

Letter of Stay (Shelter, Student, Seniors Residence)

Mortgage or Lease Statement

Pension Statement

Post-Secondary Mail

Property Tax Assessment

Public Guardian or Trustee Letter

Utility Bill (telephone, power, cable)

Vehicle Registration

Voter Information Card from a Saskatchewan Municipality