REGINA, April 4, 2016 – There will be extended polling hours at three polling locations tonight due to some polls opening later than the scheduled 9 a.m. start today.
The affected polls are:
- Poll 6b, Constituency of Carrot River Valley, Shoal Lake Wacihk Education Complex on Shoal Lake First Nation which opened at 10 a.m.;
- Polls 17, 18, 19 and 20, Constituency of Cumberland, Pelican Narrows LCA Hall in Pelican Narrows which opened at 10 a.m.;
- Poll 6, Constituency of Saskatoon Centre, St. Edward School in Saskatoon which opened at 9:30 a.m.
Based on legislative authority, the Chief Electoral Officer decided earlier today to keep these polling locations open past 8 p.m. to allow voters in those constituencies the same amount of time to vote as elsewhere. This decision does not impact the close of all other polls in the province at 8 p.m. nor the process for counting ballots and reporting results in the other 58 constituencies.
Counting will continue on schedule for all other polls in these three constituencies, however the results from these constituencies will not be released publicly until voting has ended at the affected polling locations within the constituency involved. That means no results from those constituencies will be released to the media before:
- Carrot River Valley – 9 p.m.;
- Cumberland – 9 p.m.;
- Saskatoon Centre – 8:30 p.m.
There were a total of 2,945 polling stations in regular voting today.
Elections Saskatchewan is the province’s independent, impartial, professional election management body. Given a mandate from the Saskatchewan Legislative Assembly, it organizes, manages and oversees provincial electoral events, including the April 4, 2016 general election. Information for voters, workers, media, candidates and parties at www.elections.sk.ca.
For more information contact:
Senior Director, Outreach & Policy