INFORMATION CIRCULAR NO. ESKIC-2014/01
DATE: OCTOBER 24, 2014
SUBJECT: TIME REFERENCES FOR CANDIDATE NOMINATION DEADLINES, HOURS OF VOTING, REPORTING OF RESULTS FOR THE LLOYDMINSTER BY-ELECTION
SECTION 2(4) OF THE ELECTION ACT, 1996
SECTION 3, 4 OF THE TIME ACT
SECTION 24(9) OF THE INTERPRETATION ACT, 1995
1. Clarification of Time Standard for Lloydminster By-Election: This Information Circular provides clarification regarding the time standard Elections Saskatchewan will apply throughout the Constituency of Lloydminster during the 2014 by-election which has Polling Day scheduled to occur on November 13. Following the by-election and in advance of the 28th General Election, the Chief Electoral Officer will distribute a full Interpretation Bulletin on this matter.
2. Legislative Ambiguity Identified: Some ambiguity exists within provincial law regarding whether local time or Central Standard Time is to be used for scheduling election activities in communities such as the City of Lloydminster, which has legally adopted Mountain Time—both Standard (MST) and Daylight Saving (MDT)—as their local time standard.
3. Legal Opinion on the matter: The Chief Electoral Officer has obtained a legal opinion on this matter, and is advised that the requirements of Section 2(4) of The Election Act, 1996 must prevail, and all provincial election times are required to follow Central Standard Time. That section of the Act states:
2(4) Notwithstanding The Interpretation Act, 1995 and The Time Act, where there is a reference in this Act to a particular time of the day, the reference is deemed to be a reference to central standard time. [Emphasis added]
4. All references to time, including the deadlines for candidate nomination and the hours of voting in the 2014 Lloydminster by-election shall refer to Central Standard Time.
5. Date and Time Deadline for Candidate Nominations: The deadline for candidate nominations to be received by the Returning Officer for the 2014 Lloydminster constituency by-election is 2:00 p.m. Central Standard Time (2:00 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time) on October 28, 2014.
6. Hours of Voting – Advance Polls: The hours of voting at Advance Polling places will be from 3:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Central Standard Time (2:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time) on November 6th, 7th and 10th and from 12:00 noon to 7:00 pm (11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time) on November 8th and 9th.
7. Hours of Voting – Polling Day: The hours of voting on Polling Day (November 13, 2014), at the 17 polling place locations established by the Returning Officer, shall all be from 9:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. Central Standard Time (8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time).
8. Reporting of Results: Voting results (November 13, 2014) will be reported following the close of polls on By-Election Day at 8:00 p.m. Central Standard Time (7:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time).
9. Advertising and Public Messaging regarding time: Elections Saskatchewan will advertise and promote public messaging in the Constituency of Lloydminster that standard hours of voting will be based on Central Time while also offering the parallel Mountain Time. For example, as shown above, the hours of voting on polling day will be described as being from 9:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. Central Time (8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Mountain Time).
Summary of Times
Event Date Central Time Mountain Time
Candidate Nomination Deadline Oct 28 2 p.m. 2 p.m.
Beginning Nov 2, 2014, Mountain Time will be one hour earlier than Central Time
Advance Voting Nov 6 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Advance Voting Nov 7 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Advance Voting Nov 8 12 noon to 7 p.m. 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Advance Voting Nov 9 12 noon to 7 p.m. 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Advance Voting Nov 10 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Polling Day Nov 13 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Reporting of Results Nov 13 After 8 p.m. After 7 p.m.
Michael D. Boda, D.Phil., Ph.D.
Chief Electoral Officer
Province of Saskatchewan